. Classic Homemade Cannoli | foodie

Classic Homemade Cannoli

ats
tgh
Coming from New Jersey I have had my fair share of cannoli. The iconic Sicilian dessert is one of my favorites because it isn’t overly sweet – it’s flakey shell and ricotta and mascarpone filling with chocolate chips are the perfect mixture of crispy and creamy to end (or start if you’re like me) any meal. While a cannoli is classically made with just a sweetened ricotta filling, I like to add mascarpone to add creaminess and a subtle sweetness. When making the filling, be sure to drain the ricotta as much as possible, any residual water could water down the filling.



The first time that I began to make cannolis from scratch I was very nervous. I didn’t know where to start so I just kept putting it off because I didn’t want to mess up (and I didn’t have the time). Then I realized I had nothing to be afraid of as they actually weren’t that hard to make! Be sure to buy (or make) cannoli molds ahead of time so that you can make the shells. While you can always just pick up some premade shells at an Italian bakery, the shells really aren’t hard to make. Just be sure the dough is rolled thin and then they just need some frying. Wine is added to the shells to add distinct flavor, and while Marsala wine is classically used, I use whatever dry white wine I have on hand.

Ingredients

For the shells:

2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional, for rolling

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

¼ teaspoon kosher salt

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 tablespoons vegetable shortening

2 eggs, divided

½ cup dry white wine

For the filling:

2 cups whole milk ricotta, drained

1 cup mascarpone 

1 cup powdered sugar, plus additional for dusting

¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

¾ cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips



Canola oil, as needed, for frying

4 metal cannoli molds, or 4 wooden dowels cut to 6-inch long, 1-inch-diameter



Instructions

For the shells:


  1. Add the flour, granulated sugar, salt, cinnamon, shortening, one egg and wine to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the hook attachment. Mix on medium-low speed until well-combined and a smooth dough forms, about 8 minutes.
  2. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
  3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll out so that it is 1/8-inch thick. The dough can also be rolled out thinly and evenly by putting the dough through a pasta machine set to the thickest setting (usually setting number 1). Using a 4-inch cookie cutter cut circles out of the dough. Gently pull the dough into an oval 5-inches long. Repeat with the remaining dough, you may have to re-roll out the dough with the scraps. You should end up with about 12 ovals. In a small bowl whisk the remaining egg.
  4. Read Full Recipes >> www.cookingwithcocktailrings.com
bwh